<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, August 05, 2005

Theocracy rising: Long live the King! 

How alien this seems:

Senior clerics called on Saudis Friday to take their "bayah," or oath of allegiance, to [newly crowned Saudi King] Abdullah, saying it was a religious duty.

Tens of thousands of Saudis - tribal chiefs, Islamic clerics, army commanders and commoners - have been flocking to the Riyadh governor's palace to pledge loyalty to Abdullah, vowing to "hear and obey" the new king.

Sheikh Abdul Rahman al-Seedes, the imam of the Grand Mosque in Mecca, went so far as to compare the oath to the king to that taken by Muslims to the Prophet Muhammad 14 centuries ago.

"I urge all Muslims to take the 'bayah' because it is part of the creed and a religious duty," al-Seedes said in his Friday sermon, broadcast live on television. He added that those who failed to take the oath would go to their graves as non-Muslims.
(via AP)

Yep, a big draft of Kool-Aid always goes down smooth in The Desert Kingdom.

Meanwhile, in The Delusional Kingdom, remember this from "election" 2004?

"I want you to stand, raise your right hands," and recite "the Bush Pledge," said Florida state Sen. Ken Pruitt. The assembled mass of about 2,000 in this Treasure Coast town about an hour north of West Palm Beach dutifully rose, arms aloft, and repeated after Pruitt: "I care about freedom and liberty. I care about my family. I care about my country. Because I care, I promise to work hard to re-elect, re-elect George W. Bush as president of the United States."

Um, I think there's a transcription error. Shouldn't that be "raise your right arm"?
(From the archive vaults buried deep in the bedrock under One Corrente Square)

I sure wish I could find one single Republican who's sorry they took "The Bush Pledge." But it seems that once you've drunk the Kool-Aid, you can't go back... Can any one prove me wrong? Can anyone give me examples of Repubublicans who've successfully undergone deprogramming?

corrente SBL - New Location
~ Since April 2010 ~

corrente.blogspot.com
~ Since 2003 ~

The Washington Chestnut
~ current ~



Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]


ARCHIVE:


copyright 2003-2010


    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?