<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

GOTV: Tactics, Open to Suggestions 

Early polls close in Colorado on Friday, NM on Saturday… and the MBF brigades are on the streets. Someone yanked and scraped the stickers off my truck and deflated my nice new tires last night while I was out canvassing and I’d left it parked at a school. [I’ve got more stickers, don’t worry, and a friend came with a compressor for the tires--at least they didn't cut them.] But it’s the first time it’s happened. Granted, the community I was helping to canvass is heavily GOP, but still… I worry. Though it is soooo tempting, we must not emulate the MBF’s, me hearties. Comments I hear have me worried that a post e-day debacle could unleash violence in the streets, and I sure as hell hope everyone keeps their cool. Violent revolution, like war, is a last resort, arrrgghhh—think of MLK and Birmingham, Gandhi and the March to Dandi. Although a lot of stuff that happens makes me want to loose me cutlass, I admit, I remain in the nonviolent but extremely pissed off and shrill resistance camp. Choose your battles carefully—as Gandhi chose the salt tax and MLK the racist enclave of B’ham—and prepare either for a happy and peaceful victory celebration or a long period of civil disobedience and direct nonviolent action pointed in ways that are designed to bring satisfaction in end, without sacrificing enlightenment principles in the short term. No Paris Communes, a glorious tragedy. Make sure your neck of the woods is at least semi-organized and ready for concerted and carefully planned non-violent direct action, should the need occur. We don’t have a Gandhi or an MLK or and RFK this time. Folks have learned to keep a low profile, I guess. Think globally and work locally, perhaps. I’m trying to cool my own revolutionary rhetoric, and it’s difficult as hell sometimes. Maybe someone else has better ideas about this balancing act.

Meanwhile, the shitslingers ply their trade:

Election tactics push envelope

By Michael Riley Denver Post Staff Writer
Littleton teenager Aaron Oster-Beal woke up one morning last week to find the family's Kerry-Edwards yard sign on the porch covered with a rude surprise - a pile of dog excrement.
Voters in Jefferson County have received calls from someone posing as an election official and instructing them to throw away their absentee ballots.
A Colorado Springs woman recently received a call from someone claiming to be from Sen. John Kerry's presidential campaign who expressed condolences about the death of her husband in Iraq. When the woman said she knew her husband was still alive, the caller said a vote for Kerry would help keep him that way.
The Kerry campaign said the stunt was so outrageous that it could only have been staged by someone trying to discredit the Democrat.
"Some of the tactics being perpetrated by folks as we get closer to the election are just disgusting," said Steve Haro, Kerry's spokesman in Colorado. - Denver Post


Truth is, no barnyard animal will be safe if we don’t get out the vote. A huge popular vote victory is vital to any resistance of a stolen illegitimate government (like the current one). Push the vote to e-day, get 'em to the polls, and PLAN for post e-day carefully, carefully... and no leaving the country! That's cheating. That's the best I can come up with. Of course, after I got home last night I got into the whiskey jar to calm my nerves, so my thinking this morning might not be my best...

corrente SBL - New Location
~ Since April 2010 ~

corrente.blogspot.com
~ Since 2003 ~

The Washington Chestnut
~ current ~



Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]


ARCHIVE:


copyright 2003-2010


    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?