<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, October 17, 2004

Goodnight, moon 

OK, I admit it. I'd rather have a bottle in front of me... WhatImeantosayish, I conshealed a bottle in a brown paper bag, and shmuggled it into The Mighty Corrente Building, and then, when my shift ended, I repaired to my tiny room under the stairs, and proceeded to empty it. (And, from their posts and comments, Xan and RDF are doing the same thing. Parallelism of great minds....)

And now, when it comes time to put out my tiny candle, man, it's really hard. There seem to be two of them. Or is it three....

Tinfoil hat time: It's all an evil plot by Acting President Rove to get his worst enemies totally plotzed. And indeed, he's throwing so much crap out right now that the only sane response is self-medication....

This is the weekend, eh? The news is supposed to be slow. What have we got?

1. The MBFs are going nuts. Run this search.

2. Bush totally fucked up the flu vaccine (here, here, and here).

3. Winger judge Posner issued an opinion that says there's no constitutional right to vote (here) Just in time for Ohio 2004! Or Pennsylvania 2004... Or wherever Bush chooses to steal the election this time.

4. Lynne Cheney cheneys her own daughter. She seems ashamed of the love that dares not speak its name.

5. Surprise! Bush had no plan to win the peace. A slogan? No. The facts (here)

But I think the most important story today is this one, about The Holy Gut™(here):

This evangelical group -- the core of the energetic ''base'' that may well usher Bush to victory -- believes that their leader is a messenger from God.

Um, note to Times copy editors: that's not "leader." It's "Leader."

Are we going to stand for this nonsense?!

I remember a wonderful line from Kingsley Amis's great Lucky Jim. The hero, Dixon, has smuggled a bottle into the guest room where he is spending the night:

The cork burst with a festive pop. Some of the liquid coursed refreshingly down Dixon's chest.

Indeed. The only way to deal with the contradictions and the insanity is to get hammered. And I know I won't pay for it in the morning, this time!

Oh, and I canvassed for a MoveOn GOTV this morning. Nobody home, mostly, but at least I cleaned some bad addresses out of the database. Go thou and do likewise.

Pop!

corrente SBL - New Location
~ Since April 2010 ~

corrente.blogspot.com
~ Since 2003 ~

The Washington Chestnut
~ current ~



Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]


ARCHIVE:


copyright 2003-2010


    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?