<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 13, 2004

The Penn is Mightier... 

...than the Teller. Although Teller's awfully good, he doesn't talk, which makes it hard to quote him here.

The esteemed Mr. Jillette conflates a couple of issues in this piece, so I pulled out all the we-need-more-than-two-parties stuff which, while probably true in the long term, ain't a-gonna happen in the next 50 days and is a distraction from the more important point.

And oh yeah: except for material cut, this is printed just as the Times ran it. You'll see the point about the asterisks as you read:

(via LATimes op ed)
Where is the god**** "freedom of speech" candidate? Isn't it about time someone running for president said, "I'll work to get the government out of the censorship business. My fellow Americans, I just read the Bill of Rights again, and I'm going to remind Congress of the 'Congress shall make no law' thang"? He or she would have my vote.

Anti-freedom of speech is on a roll... How did everyone get sucked into wanting the government to control what the people can say about the people who are the government? And I thought bottled water was a scam.

There is no reason for the government... to be involved in showbiz. No reason at all. The unconstitutional-from-the-get-go and now-completely-outdated Federal Communications Commission, which has been fighting against profanity on the networks, is now yapping about going after pay TV — and the anyone-but-Bush candidate hasn't said that's a bad idea. They all love the FCC.

The "****" in "god****" in the first line of this article is not censorship. I did that myself, guessing that's what The Times would want. That's my right. I'm writing the god**** thing; I can write it how I want. The newspaper is printing it; so they can do what they want. Anything outside of the government isn't censorship, it's merely taste.

I don't care if Disney doesn't want to put out a movie by a fat white guy who hates fat white guys. Disney hasn't put out a lot of stuff by me and I'm a fat white guy. I'm sure they have a lot of reasons for not putting my stuff out — in addition to me not having asked them.

Look on the bright side, Eminem and the "South Park" guys, some of the most-skilled writers of our time, don't seem to be slowed down at all. Whatever you think of the very successful Moore/Bush entertainment team, we have a movie trashing our president and it's not only out there, it's making tons of money. How cool is that?

I didn't like anything about that movie... but I love that that movie exists. I didn't like the movie, but seeing the marquees for it gets me all patriotic and teary-eyed.

We need a president who realizes that there's no government business in show business.
I think we need to pull out those before-and-after pictures of Ashcroft hiding the figure of Justice because it was in the form of a bare-breasted woman. That should have been the wake-up call to anybody who thought this particular Bush appointment was just another welfare program for a Republican who lost an election to a dead guy. Even an attorney private, or an attorney sergeant, much less an Attorney General, should be somebody who realizes his job is to promote Justice, not cover it up.

corrente SBL - New Location
~ Since April 2010 ~

corrente.blogspot.com
~ Since 2003 ~

The Washington Chestnut
~ current ~



Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]


ARCHIVE:


copyright 2003-2010


    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?