<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, April 20, 2004

How can Bush say that his enemies have no souls? 

I've been thinking about this one all day, and the more I think about it, the stranger it gets. From a WhiteWash House transcript via WhoPundit via Atrios. WhoPundit makes a joke about it, but I think it's remarkable and deadly serious:

[BUSH] We must continue to stay on the offense when it comes to chasing these killers down and bringing them to justice -- and we will. We've got to be strong and resolute and determined. We will never show weakness in the face of these people who have no soul, who have no conscience, who care less about the life of a man or a woman or a child. We've got to do everything we can here at home. And there's no doubt in my mind that, with the Almighty's blessings and hard work, that we will succeed in our mission. [end quote]

There's a lot of remarkable material here.

To begin with, it's a campaign speech; here, we have a candidate openly and explicitly running for President on the basis of his religious views; indeed, because he was sent to do the work of the Almighty. This is mind-boggling. When John Mitchell—of blessed memory; how I wish we had a President like Nixon today—said "the country is going so far to the right that you won't recognize it," he was correct, but I don't think anyone could have imagined, well, the airplane of "Christian" fundamentalism flying into the building of the Republic. FTF, indeed.


Then, all the talk about "killers" is a classic case of winger projection, since if there's one thing we do know about Bush, it's that he himself has discovered a taste for killing. Over the top? Look at the evidence, and think (back). But that's not what's remarkable.

The most remarkable statement of all is that "these people have no soul." Here again, let's take the Republicans at their word; let's accept that when Bush says this, he means it.

Even at my most snarky, it never occured to me to say that Bush had no soul. When I listened, finally, to the audio of his press conference last night (back) my bottom line was that Bush was much like Shakespeare's Macbeth in his moral predicament, and also in the evil that he did. (The lies are the tip-off: Bush is a fully paid up member of the POTL.) In fact, I came away feeling the tragic emotions of pity and terror: Pity for the pain I could hear in Bush's voice, which I felt did come from his soul; and terror for what he was doing to himself, the country, and the world.

What kind of person has the worldview that there are beings, clothed in human form, who walk the earth yet have no souls?

Can someone with more knowledge of theology than I have answer this question?

So far as I know, even demons and devils have souls (though evil ones). Vampires don't have souls, but I think a Christian would regard vampires as fictional. Animals might be considered to have no souls.

Remember that Bush believes that "you're either with us or against us." Do all who oppose Bush have no souls? Are all who oppose like vampires or animals? If we talk Bush at his word, must we believe he believes this? Am I alone in seeing the obvious connection to eliminationist rhetoric?

Can someone more versed in Protestant and Fundamentalist theology than I am help me out here? Is this idea even Christian? Where does it come from? What on earth is going on?

As you all can see, I found this statement by Bush deeply disturbing. Help!

No "Goodnight, moon" after this, I am afraid.

UPDATE Some readers have said that perhaps Bush is using the word "soul" carelessly. Here it is again:

"If you don't have the aspirations of the people firmly embedded in your soul, it's hard to take a gamble for peace," Bush said.
(via Reuters)

So, I think we have to take Bush at his word. When he says his enemies have no soul, that is what he means. Eeesh.

corrente SBL - New Location
~ Since April 2010 ~

corrente.blogspot.com
~ Since 2003 ~

The Washington Chestnut
~ current ~



Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]


ARCHIVE:


copyright 2003-2010


    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?