<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 23, 2004

IOKIYAR: Serial Republican lawbreaker Janklow kills man with impunity 

WaPo.
First the serialbreaking part. Did I mention Janklow was a Republican?

With his own freedom on the line, though, [former Representative] Janklow struck a different note Thursday in a jammed courtroom at the Moody County Courthouse. "While I was governor, I drove fast, really fast," he told the judge in an emotional but meandering declaration. "I drove thousands and thousands of miles, and nobody complained about my driving."

Actually, Janklow's driving habits have become the subject of loud complaints in this state.

Testimony last month demonstrated that local police and state troopers had repeatedly seen the then-governor driving 30 mph or more above the speed limit and let him go without penalty. The current governor, Mike Rounds (R), says he ordered a formal study of police laxity toward Janklow but so far has not made the results public.

From 1986 to 1994, Janklow received at least 12 speeding tickets -- when he was not governor. After winning the governor's seat in 1995, he continued to drive himself everywhere but was never ticketed again until the fatal accident last August.

Now for the impunity part. Did I mention Janklow was a Republican?

A state judge sent him to jail for at least 100 days for causing a fatal traffic accident at a rural intersection last August.

Janklow pleaded for leniency in court: "My political career is wrecked," he said, his voice choking. "I can't be punished ny more than I've punished myself."

Really. I like to see a Republican weeping, but I don't really think feeling bad is the same as jail time. 100 days. Fancy!

Anyhow, with (1) the Plame Affair, (2) Republican theft of Democratic files on the Hill, and (3) now this, all that Republican piffle we heard during the impeachment phase of the Republican coup is starting to wear awful thin, isn't it?

Good thing the SCLM is all over this one, the way they were with Gary Condit. Oh, they aren't?

Say, did I mention that Janklow is a Republican?

IOKIYAR!

corrente SBL - New Location
~ Since April 2010 ~

corrente.blogspot.com
~ Since 2003 ~

The Washington Chestnut
~ current ~



Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]


ARCHIVE:


copyright 2003-2010


    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?