<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, November 23, 2003

"Marriage" 

Personally, I think the state has no business supporting any kind of marriage relation, since marriage is encumbered with religious notions, and religion isn't something the state should be establishing. So I don't support laws about "gay marriage" because I don't support laws about any marriage.

On the other hand, I do think civil unions for the people who want them is the way to go. Isn't it obvious that one member of a couple should be able to visit the other in a hospital, or make a will in their favor, or do the usual things that couples do to make it through? As if there could be too much love in the world!

So I think Vermont, and Dean, got it exactly right. Further, Democrats shouldn't be afraid to say so. Let the Thugs touch this third rail and marginalize themselves.

As a parting shot: I love hearing the wingers make the argument from biology— that "marriage" is "natural" in the animal kingdom. There weren't any dog priests last I looked (well, maybe in Rick Santorum's mind). And whales rape. So rape is natural, therefore good? Overheated foolishness...

corrente SBL - New Location
~ Since April 2010 ~

corrente.blogspot.com
~ Since 2003 ~

The Washington Chestnut
~ current ~



Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]


ARCHIVE:


copyright 2003-2010


    This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?